Nadia Mazza's Home Page
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Lancaster, LA1 4YF
Office : B41
Tel : +44(0)1524-593961
Email : please, see here.
Current position: Lecturer in Pure Mathematics.
I graduated from the Université de Lausanne, Switzerland, in
2003 (in the Department of Mathematics which is now part of
Then, I went to the University of
Georgia (UGA), in Athens, GA,
USA, and was then employed as a postdoctoral associate and part-time
instructor until 2006.
I came back to Europe after this
experience, and enjoyed the Scottish climate at
the University of
Aberdeen until January 2008, as an advanced research
fellow of the Swiss National Foundation.
In Spring 2008, I briefly went back to the United States, in
California, for a 5-months research programme at the MSRI, in Berkeley.
In June 2010, together with Jon Carlson, Radu Stancu and Donna
Testerman, we organised the
conference Group Representation Theory and
Related Topics in Lausanne. It was on honour of the 60th
birthday of Prof. Jacques
Thévenaz. In addition, please find
here the handout version of my oral contribution to the
At the end of this meeting, two short-courses for
the Doctoral School
of the EPFL took place, and I had the pleasure to give one of them. The
lecture notes are available in pdf and
Since 17th April 2013, on the campus of Lancaster University, I organise
Florence Nightingale Day each year. This is a one-day event to
promote mathematics and statistics and especially the participation
of women in those subjects.
Here is my Curriculum Vitae, for
more details about my professional experience.
- The Dade group of a metacyclic p-group, J. Algebra, 266
- Endo-permutation modules as sources of simple modules, Journal of
Group Theory, 6 (2003) 477-497. (dvi,
- The Dade group of (almost) extraspecial p-groups, J. Pure
Appl. Algebra, 192 (2004), 21-51. (with S. Bouc, Amiens,
- Varieties of Nilpotent Elements for Simple Lie Algebras, J.
Algebra, 280 (2004) 719-737. (with the University of Georgia VIGRE
Algebra Group, Athens, GA, USA,
- Varieties of Nilpotent Elements for Simple Lie Algebras II. Bad
primes, J. Algebra 292, no. 1 (2005), 65-99. (with the
University of Georgia VIGRE Algebra Group, Athens, GA, USA, dvi,
- Endotrivial modules for finite groups of Lie type, J. Reine
Angew. Math., 595 (2006) 93-120. (with J. Carlson and
D. Nakano, Athens, GA,
- Support varieties for Weyl modules over bad primes, J. Algebra,
312, Issue 2 (2007), 602--633. (with the University of Georgia VIGRE
Algebra Group, Athens, GA, USA, dvi,
- The group of endotrivial modules in the normal case, J. Pure
Appl. Algebra, 209 (2007), 311--323. (dvi,
- Endotrivial modules in the cyclic case, Archiv der
Mathematik, 89, Issue 6 (2007), 497--503. (with J. Thévenaz,
Lausanne, Switzerland, dvi,
- Endotrivial modules for the symmetric and alternating groups,
Proc. Edinburgh Math. Soc., 52, Issue 1 (2009), 45--66. (with
J. Carlson and D. Nakano, Athens, GA, USA, dvi,
- The Dade group of a fusion system, J. Group Theory, 12 (2009),
55--74. (with M. Linckelmann, dvi,
pdf, or beamer presentation (pdf) of the talk given at the MSRI, March 2008)
- Connected components of the category of elementary abelian
$p$-subgroups, J. Algebra, 320, Issue 12 (2008), 42--48. (pdf)
- Glauberman and Thompson's theorems for fusion systems,
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., 137, Issue 2 (2009), 495--503.
(with A. Díaz, A. Glesser and
S. Park, dvi,
- The group of endotrivial modules for the symmetric and alternating
groups, Proc. Edinburgh Math. Soc., Volume 53, Issue 01, 2010, 83--95. (with J. Carlson and D.
Hemmer, pdf) Control of transfer and weak closure in fusion systems,
J. Algebra, 323, Issue 2 (2010), 382--392. (with A. Díaz, A. Glesser and
S. Park, dvi,
- On Oliver's p-group conjecture: II, Math. Ann., 347, Number 1
(with D. Green and L. Héthelyi, pdf)
- $p$-groups with maximal elementary abelian subgroups of rank
$2$, J. Algebra, 323, Issue 6 (2010),
1729-1737. (with G. Glauberman, pdf)
- Endotrivial modules for $p$-solvable groups,
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., 363 (2011), 4979-4996.
(with J. Carlson and J. Thévenaz,
- On a strong form of Oliver's p-group conjecture, J. Algebra, 342
(2011), 1-15. (with D. Green and
L. Héthelyi, pdf)
- Endotrivial modules over groups with quaternion or
semi-dihedral Sylow 2-subgroup, Journal of the European Mathematical
Society, 15 issue 1 (2013), 157-177.
(with J. Carlson and
J. Thévenaz, pdf)
- Auslander-Reiten components for some Knörr lattices, Bulletin
of the London Mathematical Society, 45 issue 4 (2013), 800-810.
(with M. Geline, pdf)
- Torsion-free endotrivial modules, J. Algebra, 398 (2014),
(with J. Carlson and J. Thévenaz,
- Endotrivial Modules for the General Linear Group in a Nondefining
Characteristic, Math. Z., 278 issue 3 (2014). (with J. Carlson and D. Nakano,
- Endotrivial modules for the sporadic simple groups and their
covers, J. Pure Appl. Algebra, 219 (2015), pp. 4203-4228.
DOI 10.1016/j.jpaa.2015.02.014. ( with
C. Lassueur, pdf)
- Endotrivial modules for the Schur covers of the symmetric and
alternating groups, Algebras and Representation Theory: Volume 18,
Issue 5 (2015), 1321-1335. DOI 10.1007/s10468-015-9542-y ( with
C. Lassueur, pdf)
- Endotrivial Modules for finite groups Lie type A in nondefining
characteristic, Math. Z., Volume 282, Issue 1, 1-24. DOI
10.1007/s00209-015-1529 (2016). (with J. Carlson and
D. Nakano, ArXiv
- The pro-p group of upper unitriangular matrices, J. Pure
Appl. Algebra, to appear. DOI 10.1016/j.jpaa.2017.02.009.
And, of course, my PhD thesis : Modules
d'endo-permutation (in French).
Here are a few maths links:
Some maths societies:
There are several research networks in the UK which promote algebra.
alias Functor categories for groups (LMS Grant Scheme 3 joint
Lancaster, Royal Holloway University of London and NUI Galway),
alias Algebra and Representation Theory In the North,
alias Bristol Leicester Oxford Colloquium.
- LMS, alias the London
- EMS, alias the European
- AMS, alias the American
- EWM, alias the
European Women in Mathematics.
- IMA, alias the Institute of
Mathematics and its Applications.
- MFO, alias the Mathematisches
Here are further links:
- Problems with LateX?
- Linux operating system? Have you
- Looking for (text-)books? Check abebooks.co.uk, or visit the
corresponding website of another country.
- From sea to mountain weather forecast.
- A link that might be useful, however, to handle with care: Wikipedia.
- Conversion of units here or
- Gardening sustainably,
- Beekeeping in the Lancaster area?
Check: LBK and
more widely BBKA.
Last updated: 3/2017